Thursday, March 14, 2013

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

I am lucky enough to have an electric wheat grinder.  This means I can buy wheat (which is cheaper and stores forever!) and then grind it quickly and conveniently when I need wheat flour.  Freshly ground wheat tastes better and is more nutritious.  So, I grind my wheat fresh when I bake bread, rolls, whatever.  I highly recommend a wheat grinder.  :)  That is my little lecture for the day. Ahem.

Even if you don't have a wheat grinder, however, you should make these pancakes!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEho3lct7-yhCTGaxZERqax_hehsQ9T7za3z_uVS1PX5jLTpDZyg4_RwKkPcmzCN5qHTv6VLgGbs99VBsinA-8F_OoVpyvIbLRCxpmarQCh2DBNY-nOrqgVTB0k7aUQZCIZMO6rinlBo0ym8/s400/pancake+close+up.jpg

I am trying to add even more whole wheat into our diets, and have started to make these Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from Our Best Bites.  We really really love them!  They are healthy and keep us full until lunch.  And the best part for me is that one batch of these serves us for two meals, so I can freeze the leftovers and pull them out for a great breakfast on a hectic morning.
  • 3/4 C whole wheat flour 
  • 3/4 C all-purpose flour 
  • 3 Tbs sugar 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1 1/2 C low-fat buttermilk * 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1 Tbs canola oil 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 large egg white 
  • Cooking Spray or butter for pan 
*As a substitute for 1 C buttermilk, place 1 Tbs lemon juice (or vinegar but I prefer lemon juice) in a 1 C measuring cup and then fill the remainder with milk. This recipe calls for 1 1/2 C buttermilk, so do the same thing with 1/2 Tbs lemon juice and remaining 1/2 C milk.  I do this with any recipe that calls for buttermilk, as it is not something I ever have in my fridge.

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla and whisk well. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until moistened and combined. Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet to medium heat. Make sure it's heated up before pouring the batter on.  Coat pan with non-stick spray or a little butter and then pour on pancake batter. Use about 1/4 C batter for large pancakes (5-6″) and 2 T for kid-sized ones (2 /2-3″).

Wait until bubbles form and edges are set and then flip. Makes 12 large or 24 small pancakes.



Freezer Instructions: These pancakes freeze wonderfully. Just lay out pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet or other pan. Freeze until solid and then place in a zip-lock bag. To serve, just warm up in the microwave or toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment