Saturday, January 14, 2012

Raspberry Cake

I went to look this recipe up, and couldn't believe I didn't already have it on here! This is one of my very favorite cake recipes ever (and you know I make a lot of cake). I've served this at a wedding, to rave reviews, and we ran out of this flavor it was so popular. I also took these to a friend on her birthday, and she swears they are the very best cupcakes she has ever tasted. This is Gerald's favorite cake flavor, and I'm planning to make it next week for our anniversary. Shhhhhhh...don't tell. :) Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients

. 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
. 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry gelatin
. 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
. 4 eggs
. 1/2 cup vegetable oil
. 1/4 cup hot water

Directions

. In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix and gelatin powder. Add raspberries with juice, eggs, oil and water. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. (I've always baked it in round or square cake pans, personally.) Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.

For frosting, the original recipe gave these instructions, though I have never personally tried this:

. 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
. 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed

Fold whipped topping into raspberries. Spread over cake. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

Personally, I much prefer a butter cream type of frosting, and that is all I've ever tried with this cake. I've made frosting so much that I don't really follow a recipe, I just kinda throw it together. But, basically use your very favorite buttercream frosting recipe, and instead of vanilla extract I use raspberry extract. Absolutely divine! Sometimes I do like 3/4 raspberry extract and 1/4 vanilla extra. Just experiment to taste, but remember a little extract can go a long way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment