Thursday, April 11, 2013

Easy Crockpot Applesauce

Continuing on with my homemade snacks theme is this ridiculously easy recipe for applesauce!  We LOVE applesauce around here.  As a result, even though I make and bottle applesauce for my pantry every fall, it's usually gone by January!  I've got to remember to triple the amount I make next time...

So, my awesome friend Kelly was feeding her kids homemade applesauce at the park the other day, and when I asked her about how she made it, she taught me that applesauce can be made easily in my crock pot!  What?!  Why had I never thought of this before?  Maybe this is something everyone else does already, but I tried it and it was wonderful.  Mmmmm....there is nothing as delicious as freshly made still-warm applesauce.  I have another batch going today that will be ready just in time for Katelee to get home from school, and it smells heavenly.  A perfect after school snack for a rainy day.


Photo from Comfy in the Kitchen


Want to make your own?

Ingredients:
  • 10 Apples peeled and sliced 
  • 1/2 cup water 
  • 1/2 cup sugar (optional - I do not personally ever add sugar!)
  • sprinkled cinnamon to taste
Put all in a crock pot for 4 hours on high. When it's done, it will be slightly chunky.  Personally, I like it this way, but you can use an emersion blender/ handheld mixer to make smooth.

My favorite apples for applesauce: Gala, Fuji, and Jonagold. Other apples that are good for applesauce: Red Delicious and Melrose.

No comments:

Post a Comment