Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bottling Peaches

I spent my afternoon yesterday bottling peaches. I LOVE bottling fruit. It gives me such a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction. Every year I have to look up the times and amounts again, so this year I thought I would post step-by-step directions on here. Maybe this will help someone else who wants to can their own fruit, but if not at least I'll know where to find all the info easily next year. :)

Also, for those of you trying to eat on a budget, if your family likes to eat canned fruit, this is a MUCH cheaper way of providing that for them.
Supplies Needed:
  • fruit (peaches)
  • sugar
  • water bath canning pot
  • clean mason jars and rings
  • new lids for the jars
  • wide mouthed funnel (optional but nice!)
  • pots, bowls, ice, and other kitchen tools such as measuring cups, ladle, washcloths, etc.
1. Fill the water bath canning pot about 2/3 full with water and start heating to a boil.

2. Put the new jar lids in another small pot with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Leave this pot gently simmering throughout the process, making sure the water doesn't get too low.

3. Fill a clean sink with HOT water and put your clean jars into the water to soak. (Your glass jars need to be hot when you put them into the boiling water bath or they will break. You may have refill this with hot water occasionally throughout the process as the water cools.)

4. Take a third large pot of water and start heating to a boil. (This is to blanch the peaches in.)

5. In a fourth pot, begin making your syrup.

RECIPES FOR SYRUP:

I grew up on my mom's medium/heavy syrup recipe, which I must say is delicious! She uses 7 cups of sugar to 5 cups of water. Since I've been canning my own peaches, however, I've been using a light syrup to help reduce the amount of sugar I give my family. I do a ratio of 1 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water. I still think this is plenty sweet, and we like it this way. However, if you are used to a heavier or sweeter syrup, you may prefer my mom's ratio. Stir the sugar and water together, heating over medium heat, until it begins to simmer and the sugar is completely dissolved. Then turn the heat down to low and stir occasionally until you need the syrup.

6. Prepare a large bowl (use the largest you have!) by putting in cold water and some ice.

7. Wash the peaches. Be sure the peaches are ripe and at their best. :)

8. Dip the peaches a few at a time into the boiling pot of water meant for blanching. Leave them in there for 1 minute. Fish them out and put them directly into the bowl of ice water. (I use a ladle for this.)

9. Peel the skins off the peaches. They should peel right off easily. If you are having trouble peeling the skins, try leaving them in the boiling water for a few more seconds. Remove the skins and pit (I put this waste into an empty bowl next to the ice water) and then slice the peaches to desired size. Leave the slices in the bottom of the ice water bowl for now. Repeat steps 8 & 9 until you have enough peaches prepared to fill a batch of jars.

10. Remove your jars from the hot water one at a time. Put the funnel in the top of a jar and load peach slices into the jar until pretty full. Then, ladle some of the prepared syrup over the peaches until there is only about 1/2 inch of space left at the top.

11. Carefully wipe down the top rim of the jar so that it is clean and the seal will work properly.

12. Fish one of the new lids out of the boiling pot of water (they are in the simmering water to help the rubber get ready to seal) and carefully place on the jar. Secure the lid with a ring.

13. Repeat steps 10 - 12 until you have 6 jars prepared. Place them carefully into the rack in the water bath canning pot of boiling water. Gently lower the rack and place the lid on. Check over the next few minutes to see when the water resumes it's full boil. Once it is boiling, begin the timer.

HOW LONG TO PROCESS

Process is the canning word for "boil in the canning pot."

The amount of time you leave your peaches in the canning pot depends on the type of food, size of your jar, and your elevation. Because I am at a high elevation, and because I was doing quart-sized jars this time, I let my peaches boil (process) for 35 minutes. Here is a link to the the National Center for Home Food Preservation website, where they have a chart to look up how long to process your food depending on all these factors.

14. Once the peaches have processed for long enough, remove the lid (CAREFULLY - there will be lots of hot steam!) and lift the rack up. (I like using 2 forks to lift the rack up.) Carefully remove the jars using canning tongs or an oven mitt. Place the jars on a clean, dry bath towel in a spot where they won't be moved or touched. Allow them to stay there undisturbed for about 24 hours. The lids should seal (you may hear them pop). Press on each lid after the next morning (I usually can't wait this long :) to be sure they all sealed tightly. Label them with the date and store away! If you had any seals not pop, eat them immediately or put in your fridge to eat soon.

15. Enjoy the fruits of your labors! You are amazing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment