Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homemade Mac n' Cheese

I cannot remember EVER liking macaroni and cheese, though I probably did as a child. (Did I, mom?) But as far back as my memory goes, I've found it revolting. Katelee and Gerald like it, though, so it is (very rarely) made around here at times. I ate a bite of Katelee's once - blech.

But recently Katelee ordered mac n' cheese at a restaurant. I could tell it was the REAL thing (no Kraft from a box, thank you), and it was yummy! I don't think I'd ever tried mac n' cheese that wasn't from a box before. So lately I've been craving a nice bowl of real macaroni and cheese.

Martha Stewart's recipe for macaroni and cheese showed up on Yahoo this week, and I was excited to try it. But when I went shopping I found I was going to have to spend about $40 making this one meal if I bought the expensive cheeses listed in her recipe - no thank you!!

So my friend shared THIS recipe with me and we tried it for dinner tonight. It's from the Pioneer Woman! I LOVE her. (In fact, why didn't I think to look there for a mac n' cheese recipe first?) It's simple, made with everyday regular ingredients, and it was yummy. A great dinner on a fall Sunday evening. :) Hope you enjoy! (You can see step by step photo instructions on her blog here.)

Ingredients

4 cups Dried Macaroni
1 whole Egg Beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
2-1/2 cups Whole Milk (I used 2%)
2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired
1 pound Cheese, Grated (I used sharp cheddar, but want to try a blend next time.)
1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme

Preparation Instructions

Cook macaroni for only about 5 minutes, until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

In a small bowl, beat egg.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.

Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick, almost like a cream gravy. Reduce heat to low.

Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Whisk together till smooth.

Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.

Add in cheese and stir to melt.

Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top. (You can serve it without baking - it will be very soft and creamy. I chose to bake mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment