Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cheesy Ham & Potato Casserole

I took dinner to a friend tonight, and made one of my favorite casseroles that I often use when I need to take dinner to someone else. I didn't realize until now that this recipe wasn't on this blog, so I'm happy to share it! This meal always gets rave reviews - people usually ask for the recipe. I really love to use this recipe when I'm taking dinner to someone else, because kids and adults love it, it's a "comfort" food type of meal, and because it's unique enough that people will rarely have another similar meal brought to them. Also, our family just happens to love this for ourselves. ;)

(This serves 4-6, so double if you want to share!)
  • 2 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2-3 potatoes, depending on the size. I have also successfully substituted frozen hash browns for the potatoes.)
  • 2 c. cooked ham, cubed
  • 1 can corn (I have also used frozen sweet corn instead)
  • 1/4 c. fresh parsley, finely minced
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 2 T. onions, chopped finely
  • 1/3 c. flour (I have used both white and wheat successfully)
  • 1 3/4 c. milk
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 4 oz. cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Boil the potatoes until tender, but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. Combine the potatoes, ham, corn, and parsley. Set aside. Melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the onion in butter for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the flour until blended well. Gradually add the milk and the pepper, stirring. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the ham mixture. Pour the whole mixture into a greased baking dish and cover. Bake covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 5 - 10 minutes longer, until cheese melts. Enjoy!

FREEZER NOTE: We have made this recipe to freeze, and it turns out well. Just freezer in a disposable casserole dish before baking, thaw, and bake as instructed. Keep in mind that the potatoes will be a little mushier after freezing, so sometimes I slightly under cook the potatoes when I am planning to freeze this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment