Friday, September 9, 2011

Jenn's Wheat Bread

With the rising cost of groceries, we are trying to save money on our food bill. I've made a goal to start making all our bread again - something I did once upon a time but haven't done now for years.

To me, a good bread recipe should require relatively simple ingredients, have a light, tasty flavor, be healthy, and cut into slices well for sandwich-making. I experimented with a new recipe today that I tweaked for my own purposes, and we LOVED the results. Katelee and I enjoyed a warm, fat slice with homemade jam for lunch today - and it was heavenly. :) This bread cuts easily and smoothly for excellent sandwich-making. And I like that it is quite healthy and seems to freeze well.
  • 3 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
  • 4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (OR 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast)
  • 1/3 cup agave or honey (I used agave, but the original recipe called for honey)
  • 5 cups bread flour
  • 3tablespoons butter, melted
  • a few more Tablespoons of agave (the original recipe called for 1/3 c. honey)
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten (this was not in the original recipe, but I think it helps to add an egg)
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup agave. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.

2. Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey (or, I just squirted about a few tablespoons worth of agave instead), salt, and I added an egg at this point because I've heard that adding an egg helps bread not be so crumbly. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. (I used my KitchenAide and just added wheat flour until it no longer was sticking to the bowl. Be sure to use your dough hook.)

3. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.

4. Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch. (I used my monster-long wilton loaf pan, which is 16 x 4 inches, and put all the dough in there at once. I probably should have only put about 2/3 of the dough in there, and reserved 1/3 for a smaller bread pan, but it worked. ;)

5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely. (Or don't. We can't resist eating some of it while warm!) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenn I tried this today and it was fabulous! Thank You! I have been making bread for a while but it has been crumbly after a couple days, so I am glad to know the egg trick!

    ReplyDelete