Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Homemade Granola

I really like granola.  I love it in my yogurt, sometimes with milk, or just plain.  But the brands I tend to like can be EXPENSIVE.  So, I've been looking for a really good granola recipe to make at home.  And I think I found one I'll stick with!

This recipe if from the book Worldwide World Christmas Cookbook, which my sis-in-law gave me for Christmas a few years back.  The recipe was submitted by Jenna Smith from South Carolina.
  • 10 C. regular oatmeal
  • 2 c. almonds, slivered or sliced (today I used chopped pecans, and they are delicious, too!  Use whatever nut you prefer.)
  • 2 c. coconut (note to all you coconut haters: you can't see the coconut in the end or feel it's texture.  It just adds very subtly to the flavor.  Even if you think you don't like coconut, I highly recommend you leave this in.  Katelee hates coconut, but has no idea it's in this granola, which she loves!)
  • 2 C. packed brown sugar
 Mix these together in a large bowl.  Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat:
  •  3/4 c. oil
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 3/4 c. honey
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
Heat and stir until the peanut butter is completely melted.  Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.  Spread onto two large cookie sheets.  Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring once during baking.  Let cool.  After it's completely cooled, stir in
  •  assorted dried fruit (I really like Craisins.  Other good ideas would be dried apricots, raisins, berries of any kind, etc.)
Serve with milk or yogurt, or even enjoy plain.  Makes about 16 cups. Put in an airtight container, and this would last for several months.



No comments:

Post a Comment