Thursday, January 10, 2013

Yummy Cornbread

We are having a snowstorm tonight, so I decided to make beef stew for dinner.  And then I found myself inexplicably craving some moist cornbread to go along with it.  I don't generally like cornbread, but I am outnumbered because the rest of my family LOVE it.  I ended up combining what I thought were the best things from two different recipes, and I was really happy with the results.  My little family ate them all up, no leftovers!  (Although Blake did have a considerable amount of crumbs under his chair.)  :)  We served it with Honey Butter, and it was truly scrumptious.  These would also make great muffins!
  • 1-2 T. shortening
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 c. milk OR buttermilk
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place 1-2 T. shortening into an 8x8 baking dish, and place the dish into the oven to get hot and let the shortening melt.

In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and stir well.  (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.)

In a smaller bowl, mix all the wet ingredients until well combined.  (egg, sour cream, milk, and melted butter.)

Fold egg mixture into flour mixture until JUST moistened.  The batter will be thick.

Remove the baking dish from the oven.  The shortening should be melted and thoroughly coating the bottom of the dish, and the dish should be nice and hot.  Pouring the batter in now will give the crust and edges that nice crispy fried texture.  Pour the batter into the dish and spread until flat.

Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment